Thursday 7 June 2018

Breaking Stereotypes



It is an unwritten rule in my native temple(Arul Migu Subramania Swamy Thiru Kovil Mylappapuram) that women are not encouraged to go behind Thaer(Temple Cars) which starts at late evening from temple goes around many small villages and returns back early morning(next day) to temple. 

During my childhood I was so eager to go along with Thaer but I am not encouraged to do so. Two years back I was so stubborn inside me to go along with Thaer, with no permission from anyone I literally eloped with the thaer(I just waved bye to my mom who was speechless of my action, I didn’t give her time to think). 

The journey was full of walking throughout night. We walked miles and miles, tired and exhausted but I was stunned by the people’s hospitality in all villages. Many houses are ready with snacks, coffee, cool drinks and buttermilk, they provided to the people who walk along with thaer and also their neighbors. Whenever and wherever I felt thirsty I was offered water by someone no matter what time it was. People are so friendly and welcoming in all villages that we crossed. I felt safe and happy to be the first women who broke the stereotype. 

I was eagerly waiting for the next year festival but unfortunately due to some personal difficulties I couldn’t attend the festival last year. This year few women asked me whether I would be participating in the walk. I was so proud to see so many women are interested after I initiated it. This year around 10 women and girls joined the thaer. I could see strong women walking forward with pride.

With Love
Aarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment